In a suspected case of food poisoning, 25 post-matriculation students housed in a hostel for Schedule Castes and Schedule Tribes here were hospitalised on Friday after they complained of stomach ache after lunch.
District surgeon M.S. Patil told The Hindu that all the children were out of danger but under observation. A detailed inquiry has been ordered and action will be taken based on the report, said Deputy Commissioner Khushboo Goel Chowdhary. Coincidentally, when she visited the hostel about three months ago, the DC had pulled up the warden and officials for not maintaining it well.
Many PU and degree students are housed in the hostel, which is run by the Social Welfare Department. In the past, there have been many complaints against social welfare officials over the lack of maintenance of the hostel, and this had caused the DC to pay a surprise visit, said social worker Umesh Mudnal.