Karnataka : 30 students fall ill after eating hostel food

M. Lokesh, Deputy Commissioner, speaking to a student admitted to McGann Hospital in Shivamogga on Monday. Abhinav Khare, Superintendent of Police, looks on. 
Looks like a case of food poisoning: Medical Superintendent
As many as 30 students at Morarji Desai Government Residential School in Gajanur village near here who fell ill owing to suspected food poisoning have been admitted to McGann Hospital, a government hospital attached to Shivamogga Institute of Medical Sciences, in the city on Sunday night.
Of the 321 students who had dinner at the hostel on Sunday night, 30 complained of stomach ache and vomiting. The wardens immediately admitted them at McGann Hospital where they were administered fluids and medicines intravenously.
On Monday, Deputy Commissioner M. Lokesh visited the hospital and spoke to the children. Mr. Lokesh said the samples of food served to the students and drinking water at the hostel have been sent to the laboratory for testing.
T.B. Satyanarayan, Medical Superintendent of McGann Hospital, said that the health condition of all the students was stable. “Prima facie is appears to be a case of food poisoning. However, though the same food was served for all 321 students that includes 160 boys and 161 girls, only 30 girls have fallen ill. The exact reason for the problem will be ascertained after the results of the tests conducted on food and drinking water samples are made available. The condition of the students is being closely monitored and they are likely to be discharged on Tuesday evening,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s