A few homemakers here have suffered irritation and itching after they cut onions purchased from a local market. As per reports, Jaya (52) of Ayyaruvilakom Veedu at Kunchalumoodu in Kulathoor and four more local residents sought medical assistance at a private hospital after rashes and swelling appeared on their hands and body. According to health officials, the reaction of pesticides might have caused the irritation
Jaya, who runs a provision store at Kunchalumoodu, had purchased 20 kg of onion from a wholesaler at Anayara world market. Jaya further took home a few and cut one of them when she suffered itching. After seeking medical treatment, she returned to shop when other customers approached her with complaints. Following this, they cut some more onions and noticed a red colour liquid oozing out of the vegetable vegetable.
A complaint has been lodged with the Food Safety Department.