53 take ill after eating dessert at marriage party

Pune: Eating dessert at a marriage function turned out unsavoury for as many as 53 people, including 28 children, as they were all taken ill soon after its consumption in Rahatni on Sunday night.

They were rushed the hospital. “While ten members got discharged immediately, others are still under observation, though out of danger,” said Shridhar Jadhav, senior inspector of the Wakad police.

The Wakad police have arrested two caterers under section 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) of the Indian Penal Code.

Police said that after dinner and dessert, the guests, especially children started vomiting. “They were taken to Yashwantrao Chavan Memorial Hospital and Aundh Hospital,” Jadhav said.

The affected people include 28 children, 12 men and 13 women, police said.

After investigation it was found that those who consumed dessert (kulfi) at the function were taken ill. “The ones who only had food did not suffer any poisoning,” said an officer from the Wakad police station.
Prima facie reports revealed that the caterers had purchased khoya used in the kulfi from a local distributor. “We checked with the supplier and found that he supplied the ingredient to many others too, but got no complaints from them,” the officer said.
Police have sent the kulfi samples for chemical analysis. “We are waiting for the report,” the officer said.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s