SHIMLA: Sixty-nine students of the Jaypee University of Information Technology (JUIT) at Wanknaghat in Solan district of Himachal Pradesh were hospitalized following a suspected case of food poisoning on Thursday night. While 55 students were admitted in Indira Gandhi Medical College and Hospital (IGMCH), Shimla, 14 were taken to Civil Hospital, Kandaghat.
While 40 students were discharged on Friday, the condition of those still in hospitals is stated to be out of danger.
A team of officials headed by the chief medical officer, Solan, visited the campus on Friday morning to take samples of the food and water provided to the students. A team of doctors from Shimla-based IGMCH, Shimla, also visited the campus and took food samples for checking.
According to district administration officials, the students were served khichdi and pao-bhaji at dinner on Thursday. After taking meals, they started vomiting and complaining of stomach ache around 11.30pm and were taken to the hospital immediately.
While samples taken by the Solan district officials were sent for examination at Composite Testing Laboratory at Kandaghat, those taken by the Shimla team would be tested at the microbiology laboratory of the medical college in Shimla. Students admitted in Shimla hospital alleged that the quality of food served to them at the institute was bad.
Additional district magistrate Sandeep Negi said they would further action into the matter only after getting reports of food and water samples from laboratories. He said that all students were out of danger and their condition was improving. “We still have no confirmation whether it is a case of food poisoning,” he said