More than three weeks after four people, including three children, died after eating food served in the hostel of Sri Vidhyavaridhi International School, Huliyaru, in Tumakuru district, forensic sciences laboratory (FSL) confirmed that the food was laced with aluminium phosphide, a toxic substance used in pesticides, police sources said.
FSL submitted its report to Tumakuru police on Friday. Aluminium phospide is used to tackle pests that attack coconut palms. The sambar that served as part of the meal was laced with the pesticide, while the rice showed no signs of the poison, the FSL report said.
The incident that occurred in early March claimed the life of a security guard and three children. Tumakuru police have interrogated a former principal among others in connection with the tragedy.