Food poisoning – Food Safety Dept issues notice to IIT – R

Roorkee: The food safety department, after lifting two food samples from a hostel mess of Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee (IIT-R), has issued notice to the institute on Friday. About 30 students had fallen ill after having dinner on Wednesday. All students are safe and have been discharged from the institute’s hospital after receiving treatment for two nights. The doctors at the hospital said the students are safe.

Reacting to Wednesday’s incident of alleged food poisoning of the students, the institute’s authorities said that it could be a case of specific food allergy and that there was nothing wrong with the food served to the students.

According to reports, 28 students of post-graduate and PhD (research) programmes, who lived in Cautley Bhawan (hostel) of the institute, had dinner in the hostel mess on January 25 but soon started complaining of stomach ache and dehydration. They were rushed to the hospital for treatment.

“Some students had eaten rice and a sweet corn dish specially prepared on their demand in the mess. Only 28 students had fallen ill after eating that dish. Doctors told us that it could be a case of specific food allergy. Food served to the students was fine. We will probe the matter,” said dean (students’ welfare) D K Nauriyal
Taking cognizance of the incident, which was reported on social media, the food safety department inspected the mess and lifted two food samples and issued a notice to the institute under different sub-clauses of section 31 of the Food Safety & Standard Act 2006.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s