Food Poisoning – India Updates – Dec 13-2016

The function was taking place in Uvarsad village
The function was taking place in Uvarsad village
Food poisoning : Dessert shock over 200 wedding guests
AHMEDABAD: More than 200 people took ill from food poisoning after attending a wedding function on the outskirts of Gandhinagar late on Sunday night. The incident took place at 9.30 pm when dessert, basundi and sooji ka halwa, was served after dinner.

Police have already started questioning the caterer who made the desserts. By 10.30pm, the guests attending the function at Uvarsad village, some 3km from the city, had started complaining of vomiting and dysentery and were taken to hospital. The civil hospital in Gandhinagar saw some 135 admissions, including five children younger than 10. Some 65 men aged between 24 and 73 years were admitted to hospital.

“We suspect staphylococcal food poisoning in this case, as most guests had consumed basundi, which is susceptible to this particular strain of bacterial infection,” says a senior medical officer at Gandhinagar civil hospital. Uvarsad sarpanch Baldev Thakor, who was also recovering from the food poisoning told TOI, “Many people had two servings of basundi and halwa after dinner. Of the 315 guests, close to 200 complained of food poisoning. I was informed that 50 were taken to private clinics and most were discharged in the morning.”

Suresh Patel, 41, said, “I suffered severe diarrhoea at around 11.30pm and had to be rushed to hospital. I was losing a lot of fluids, but I am ok now.”

Gandhinagar police said that the sweets -the halwa and the basundi—were made by 3 pm on Sunday and had gone cold by the evening. They were not preserved properly. Gandhinagar health officials took samples of five food from the wedding dinner. The test results of these samples are still awaited. 
 
39 hospitalised for food poisoning
DIBRUGARH: At least 39 people, including women and children, had to be hospitalised for food poisoning after attending a post-harvest ritual at a house in Borjan village in Philobari area of Tinsukia district on Sunday evening.

According to sources, the victims were served kumol saul (a soft variety of rice which can be eaten directly after soaking in lukewarm water) and home-made curd during the ceremony held at the house of one Krishna Kamal Saikia. All the victims have been admitted to the Tinsukia civil hospital.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s