Food Poisoning News – India updates -Dec 8 -2016

Children fall ill after consuming hostel food

INDORE: As many as 30 children fell ill after consuming food at a hostel in Kalyanpura area of Jhabua district on Wednesday.

Six of the victims were admitted to the hospital with severe stomach upset and nausea, Kalyanpura police said.  

The incident was reported in the afternoon when the inmates of the hostel of Oxford Eminent Academy in Aamli Pathar village started vomiting after consuming ‘khichadi’, they said.
The children were rushed to the hospital, majority of the were given treatment and let go. Six children — Nitesh Katara, 9, Pravin Mavi, 12, Manish Bhabor, 10, Sachin Damor, 10, Mohan meena, 10, Darilal Bhuria, 10, Vikram Bhabor, 10 and Kankaj Bhabor, 10 – were admitted to the hospital.
They were discharged in the evening.

Latur hostel inmates fall ill to food poisoning

Aurangabad: As many as 349 students living in a hostel of the social justice department in Latur were admitted to the Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) on Sunday evening and Monday morning after they complained of abdomen pain, nausea, vomiting and giddiness.

Hospital authorities said the condition of all students was stable and a majority of them have been discharged. The hospital authorities suspect food poisoning to be the cause of the illness and have sent samples of gastric lavage of the victims to forensic laboratory for further testing.

The Latur police arrested four persons, including two contractors hired to supply meals to the hotel, based on a complaint filed by the social welfare department. The two other persons arrested are cooks.

Latur GMCH medical superintendent Shailendra Chauhan said 72 girls and 277 boys were admitted to the hospital on Sunday evening after they complained of abdomen pain, nausea, vomiting and giddiness.

“Only eight students were kept under observation till Monday. Among them, two students showed different complaints such as severe anaemia and fatigue giddiness. The remaining were vomiting excessively. On Monday, they were responding to the treatment and showing signs of recovery,” he explained.

 
Some students said the food served at the hostel was of sub-standard quality and many times, the oil is re-used for preparation of meals. The unhygienic conditions at the hostel add to the problems.
L I Waghmare, Latur regional deputy commissioner of social welfare department, said they have ordered an inquiry to test the quality of raw material supplied by the contractor. “The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has collected samples of raw material for testing. We have also urged the Latur police to conduct an inquiry into the incident,” he said.
 M M Ingewad, investigating officer, said they had arrested two contractors and two cooks on Monday after receiving the complaint from the social welfare department.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s