Food Safety NEws – India updates – Nov 24


‘Four out of 100 sweet samples adulterated

GURGAON: Four out of 100 samples sent by the district food safety department for quality testing before Diwali were found to be adulterated.
According to a laboratory report, which came out on Tuesday, samples of khoya and petha sweets as well as roasted chana dal and dry fruits (used in preparation of sweets) failed the quality test. While two of the adulturated samples were from shops in Gurgaon, the other two came from shops in Badshahpur and Sohna.
A sweet shop at a city-based five-star hotel was also found to be selling adulterated sweets. The other sweet shop in Gurgaon is based in Sadar Bazaar. “Only four samples were found to be adulterated. We have sent notices under Section 46 (4) to all shops from where they were taken,” KK Sharma, food safety officer, Gurgaon told TOI.The department started inspection on October 8 this year, well before Diwali (which was on October 30). The department reportedly came into action after it received a few reports about the arrival of adulterated milk, paneer and khoya in the city from Mewat and some parts of Rajasthan.
Officials collected around 100 samples of ready-made sweets like milk cake, khoya and kaju barfi from many areas, including Sector 29, MG Road, DLF areas, Badshapur, Sadar Bazaar, Jharsa Road, and Sector 14 market.
The collected samples were sent to a government-authorised laboratory in Chandigarh for quality testing.

J & K


Inspection of eateries ordered

Dimapur : Principal Director & Addl. Food Safety Commissioner, Directorate of Health & Family Welfare, Dr L Watikala has directed all the designated officers (CMOs)/food safety officers of the districts to conduct inspections of hotels, restaurants, canteens (offices/colleges/schools/institutions), bakeries, tea stalls including temporary stalls and other public eating places besides street food vendors in their respective jurisdictions to ensure safety of foods at all levels.
The Principal Director & Addl. Food Safety Commissioner in a release on Wednesday said the directive has been issued in exercise of the powers conferred under section 30(3) of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 and Rules 2001 in view of the approaching festive seasons in and around the State and the forthcoming Hornbill Festival, 2016,.The designated officers (CMOs) have also been requested to issue detailment order of food safety officers for inspection of venues where festivals are being organised to ensure food safety under their jurisdictions and food safety coverage for VVIPs/VIPs’ visit to Nagaland during the Hornbill Festival.
The release further informed that inspection may be carried out in consultation with the district administration/municipal councils/town councils and other appropriate authorities concerned.
The exercise should be completed by November 30 and the action taken report be submitted to of Health & Family Welfare latest by December 10 positively, the release added.


Raid to Check Adulteration of Pulses with Toxic Seeds

With Odisha goverment identifying ‘Chakunda’ beans as the source of a toxin that killed a large number of tribal children, Malkangiri district administration today launched a raid on godowns, local markets and trading centres suspected to be involved in adulterating pulses.
As Tuesday is the day for the weekly market in many places in the tribal dominated district, collector K Sudarshan Chakraborty asked the supply department to verify whether the pulses are adulterated with ‘Chakunda’ (scientific name Cassia Occidentali) bean seeds.
“We have collected samples of pulses and these will be sent to the state Food and Drugs Laboratory for examination,” said Birendra Karkara, sub-Collector of Malkangiri.
The district administration suspects that as the toxic beans are easily available in the region, traders could have adulterated pulses with the beans.
The expert team headed by Jacob Jonn in its interim report said ‘Chakunda’ beans was one of the causes for the death of children in Malkangiri.
As many as 97 children have so far died in Malkangiri district, official sources said.
Anthraquinone is the suspected toxin found in a plant called Cassia Occidentalis. Urine samples of a few children tested positive indicating that they must have consumed the seeds of the plant, Jonn had stated in the report.


கோககோலா விற்பனைக்கு சபரிமலையில் தடை!

சபரிமலையில், கோககோலா விற்பனைக்கு, கேரள அரசின் உணவு பாதுகாப்பு துறை தடைவிதித்துள்ளது. பாட்டில் குடிநீர் தடையை தொடர்ந்து, ஏக போக விற்பனைக்கு திட்டமிட்ட கோககோலா கம்பெனி அதிர்ச்சிக்குள்ளாகியுள்ளது. சபரிமலையில் இந்த ஆண்டு முதல், பாட்டில் குடிநீர் விற்பனை முழுமையாக தடை செய்யப்பட்டுள்ளது. இதற்கு பதில், தேவசம்போர்டும், குடிநீர் வாரியமும் இணைந்து, பம்பை முதல், சன்னிதானம் வரை, சுத்திகரிக்கப்பட்ட குடிநீரை, குழாய் மூலம் வழங்கி வருகிறது. எனினும், கடைகளை நாடும் பக்தர்களுக்காக, கோககோலா விற்பனைக்கு தேவசம்போர்டு அனுமதி வழங்கியது. 200 மில்லி, 25 ரூபாய்க்கும், 300 மில்லி, 35 ரூபாய்க்கும் விற்பனை ஆனது. கோககோலா கம்பெனியின் இயந்திரம் வழியாக, பேப்பர் கப்புகளில் வழங்க வேண்டும் என்ற நிபந்தனையுடன் தேவசம்போர்டு அனுமதி வழங்கியது. ஆனால், இந்த முடிவு விவாதத்துக்குள்ளானது. மலையேறும் ஒரு பக்தர் மூச்சிரைக்க வரும் போது, காஸ் நிறைந்த இந்த பானம் குடிக்கலாமா என்ற சர்ச்சை எழுந்தது. மேலும், விதிகளை தளர்த்தி டெண்டர் வழங்கப்பட்டதாகவும், குற்றச்சாட்டு எழுந்தது. இந்நிலையில், கேரள அரசின் உணவு பாதுகாப்பு துறை, சபரிமலை மற்றும் சபரிமலைக்கு வரும் பாதைகளில் கோககோலா விற்பனையை தடை செய்துள்ளது. இது தொடர்பாக பிறப்பித்த உத்தரவில், பாதுகாப்பு விஷயங்களை கவனத்தில் கொள்ளாமல் வியாபாரம் நடக்கிறது என குறிப்பிட்டுள்ளது.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s