Restaurant Boss fined for ‘High Risk’ food safety offences

 

Filthy gas hob used at former Indian restaurant A Taste of India which has now closed down

Filthy gas hob used at former Indian restaurant A Taste of India which has now closed down

Archant

The former manager of an Indian restaurant in Manea has been hit with a hefty fine after admitting failing to maintain proper food hygiene standards there.

A grimy dish cloth used at former Indian restaurant A Taste of India which has now closed down
A grimy dish cloth used at former Indian restaurant A Taste of India which has now closed down

Anwar Uddin, from Cambridge, has been ordered to pay more than £3,100 in fines and costs after pleading guilty to six offences of failing to comply with EU food safety and hygiene regulations.

Passing sentence this week (November 9), Peterborough magistrates described the offences as “high risk “and “serious”.

The prosecution was brought by Fenland District Council. It followed an inspection of the now closed Taste of India restaurant in December 2015 by senior environmental health officer Trevor Darnes that revealed very poor standards of hygiene and a lack of management and supervision.

Mr Darnes was so concerned that the business posed an imminent risk to health that he served an emergency notice ordering the premises to be closed immediately.

The offences included:

• Cooked prawns and rice stored in dirty uncovered containers and left in the kitchen over night

• Food stored in a black dustbin liner in the freezer

• Raw meat stored above cooked foods in the fridge

• Grimy and scored cutting boards

• Dirty equipment and food containers

• A damp and dirty cloth being used to wipe food preparation surfaces

• Filthy carpet and handrail to first floor store room

• Large amounts of dust and cobwebs in the first floor store room

• Staff not wearing proper protective clothing

Councillor Mike Cornwell, the council’s Cabinet member responsible for environmental health, said: “These were serious issues which could easily have led to an outbreak of food poisoning if swift enforcement action had not been taken.

“The council had previously provided support to the business, so to have subsequently found the premises in such a shocking state is very disappointing.

“Following the inspection, Mr Uddin failed to respond to requests for information or attend interviews to discuss the issues. The council therefore felt it necessary to prosecute.

“We hope it sends out a clear warning to other food business operators – and reassurance to consumers – that poor hygiene standards will not be tolerated.”

Mr Uddin was fined a total of £2,400 (£400 for each of the six offences) plus a £40 victim surcharge. He was also ordered to pay the council’s full costs of £746

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s